Search This Blog

Loading...

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Design It Quilt Sample #2

My second attempt at using my new quilting skills that I learned for my Craftsy Design it Quilt class by Cindy Needham.  I am very please with the result.  The quilting made this simple 16 patch table runner beautiful.  Click here if you are interested in the pattern for the table runner.  The table runner looks much nicer that this photo.  Photos never do justice to quilts.
 


I first ESSed which means that I quilted every stinking seam.  I wasn't sure what I was going to do in the inset triangles so I didn't quilt lines in them.  I later decided that I wanted a grid so I had to go back and stitch the grid.  It would have been easier to quilt the grid in the inset triangles as I was ESSing the blocks.
Then I decided that a 3" grid was too large based on my last sample so I divided the grid into 4s by quilting lines both vertically and horizontally.
In the blocks I scribbled in every other triangle. I used a pink polyester thread from Superior Threads.  

In the inset triangles, I did cathedral windows.  That was a lot easier than I thought it would be since Cindy has her dance steps that you follow: waltz steps 1 2 3 1 2 3 then hokey pokey all the way home.  Amazingly this help me so much to remember what I was suppose to do.  
I could have done some scribbling in the cathedral  windows but I got tired and thought that I had done enough quilting.


Here is picture of the back of the quilt.  I used a 50 weight tan thread for the bobbin.

My next sample will be doing feathers in a log cabin quilt.  So look forward to my next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment